Pasta Carbonara is on your table in 20 minutes, and is absolutely delicious. Follow this simple recipe for a fast dinner recipe everyone will love!
- 1 pound uncooked spaghetti
- 6 ounces thick cut bacon diced (before you begin the rest of the recipe)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- salt and black pepper
- chopped parsley
- Read through the instructions before beginning this recipe.
- Beat the eggs, parmesan, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper together in a bowl until fully combined.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon kosher salt and the dry spaghetti. Cook the pasta according to package instructions. It is important that while the pasta is cooking you work on the sauce so it is ready when the pasta is done and still hot. Be sure to reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water when you drain it.
- While the pasta is cooking, cook the bacon until almost crisp in a large skillet. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, until just fragrant. (If the pasta isn't done yet, remove from heat, making sure the garlic does not burn.)
- Add the drained hot pasta to the bacon and garlic and toss over the heat to combine for about 2 minutes, ensuring that the spaghetti gets well coated in the rendered bacon fat.Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the egg mixture. It will thicken and coat the pasta. (It is important to remove the pan from the heat. If you leave it over heat when you add the egg-cheese mixture, it will scramble the eggs.) If the sauce becomes too thick, you can add a little of the reserved pasta water.
- Plate the hot pasta, and top freshly ground black pepper, additional parmesan, and freshly chopped parmesan cheese.
Delicious dinner for a busy day.
- Miami Food Network -
Freshly Grated Parmesan or Canned Parmesan
We’ve made this recipe with both freshly grated Parmesan and Parmesan that you buy finely grated in a can. I will say that both versions of this recipe are delicious, but I do prefer freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
A block of Parmesan cheese can be expensive. If that holds you back from making this dish, please go with the cheaper version so you can still have this delicious pasta recipe.
Bacon or Pancetta
Pasta Carbonara is traditionally made with pancetta. While delicious, it can be difficult to find and expensive. Thick cut bacon works great in this recipe.