This sweet and fun gluten free Passover apple cake is exactly what you need for Passover! Whenever you combine apples and cake, it is obviously going to be scrumptious. There isn’t going to be a crumb when you try it because it is so good.
Passover Apple Cake
Delicious Gluten Free Passover Apple Cake
Who knew baking with gluten free matzo meal could be so tasty?
If you are looking for a treat to enjoy while celebrating the Passover, then this one is sure to be a hit. My family looks forward to me making this recipe every year, and I am sure you will want to do the same.
If you haven't made a cake like this before, I am sure you have some questions. Here are some things I think you may ask:
Is there gluten in matzo?
Traditionally, yes there is gluten in matzo. It is a bread that is unleavened which means it was a dough that didn’t rise. The texture and crunch is similar to crackers. It is made with flour and water, so it is not gluten free.
Thank goodness they now make gluten free matzo!! To keep this apple cake gluten free, use gluten free matzo meal that has been certified kosher.
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil (coconut or light oil like avocado)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free matzo meal
- 2 tablespoons Cassava flour (or tapioca starch)
- Apple Filling:
- 4 apples
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Add the cake batter wet ingredients to a standing mixer and mix on low speed, increasing the speed to medium. Mix for 1 minute.
- Turn off the power and add Matzo meal and Cassava flour. Mix on low speed until blended.
- Slice apples very thinly, I left the peels on. You can remove the peels if you like.
- Spray a cake pan with coconut oil, and place a piece of parchment paper cut to the size of the pan on the bottom.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the pan and spread it around to cover the bottom.
- Add the apple mixture on top of the batter.
- Pour the remaining batter on top and spread to cover the apples.
- Bake for 40 minutes until done.
Can I freeze matzo apple cake?
Yes, you can freeze gluten free matzo apple cake. The best way to freeze the apple cake is to tightly wrap it in plastic wrap, then place in freezer bag or airtight container. To thaw the texture and flavor is best if you thaw in the fridge. After it is defrosted, you can toss it in the microwave to warm it up before eating.
I made this cake and we really liked it, it was super moist. Thank you for the recipe
- Miami Food Network -
Optional mix-in tips:
This gluten free apple cake is so good as it is, but if you want to add in some extra flavors here are a few ideas: