Traditional meatballs usually have breadcrumbs in them which give them a more tender texture. These gluten-free meatballs don’t have breadcrumbs in them but have cheese inside to make them soft!
- 1 lb ground beef (80/20 mix is good)
- 1 lb ground bulk Italian pork sausage
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons coarse Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup marinara or pizza sauce (I like Rao's brand)
- (optional) fresh basil or parsley for topping
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine the beef, pork, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, Parmesan, eggs, spices, garlic, and salt and pepper.
Using a scoop, make 20 meatballs and place in the casserole dish.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink in the middle. Remove pan from the oven and drain the grease.
Spoon the marinara sauce on top of each meatball and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese on top. Bake for 5-10 minutes or untll the cheese is nice and melted. Garnish with basil and parsley if desired and serve.
I like to use a combo of beef and pork sausage in my meatballs. This is gives them the best flavor.
My grandmother used to make meatballs with a combo of pork and beef. It really does give them great flavor.
- Miami Food Network -
There are two methods to meatballs. You can either bake them or brown them on the stove which is much more tedious. Baking the meatballs in a casserole pan is so easy! I even use a cupcake scoop to make sure the meatballs are all the same size.